Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Popping My Cherry

Or alternatively... Popping the hop!

It was July 4th, 2010. I was born the next day, several decades prior, but if you factor in time zones, it was pretty much my birthday.

I'd had a couple of alcoholic drinks prior, but never had a beer. It wasn't that I didn't want to, I just felt I needed to build up to it. I tried some O'Doulls a year or so prior. It wasn't what I expected and as such didn't go down as easily as it should have.

But there I was, some time later. My wife across the table from me, having just finished a good dinner at a friends house.

The friend asked if I wanted a beer.

"If you wouldn't mind", I responded.

He produced a bottle of Michelob Ultra from the fridge.

It was perfect as my first drink.

I'm a pretty big Lance Armstrong fan, and it's the brand he advertises for.

In addition to that, it's not a very beery beer. It had a very mild and light flavor.

I braced myself, memories of the O'Doulls coming back, and readying myself to resist gagging and just trying to appreciate the taste.

I was very pleasantly surprised.

I'll have to grab another bottle at some point and do a real review on it, but if you want my opinion... It's the perfect choice for a first time beer drinker.

I think the key to drinking beer is not expecting it to be sweet in any way. It's not a soda, but given time, the right beer and a nice chill to it, and it is very refreshing.

So... July 4th, 2010. A day that will live in infamy as the first day I drank a beer!

1 comment: